Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Toffee Glazed Almonds

     From my childhood, comes my mother's almonds that I still make every year for Christmas time!   I need to make a lot because I give so much of it away to friends and neighbors and my family loves it so much.  It's rather simple to make and is so much better fresh.  You can't buy candy this good because the nuts are so fresh.  I buy the raw almonds at Costco and they are very economical there.


Toffee Glazed Almonds 

2 cups raw almonds
1 cup sugar
4 tblsp butter (never margarine)
1 tsp. vanilla
salt for sprinkling

1.  In a heavy skillet, ( I love my cast iron pan for this)  slowly melt butter.
2.  Add sugar and almonds all at once.


3.  On medium heat, cook and stir constantly until the sugar melts into a syrup and turns a nice brown color.  This takes about 15 minutes.  
4.  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
5.  Quickly spread the mixture onto a large greased cookie sheet.  
6.  When cool break into small clusters of several nuts.
7.  Sprinkle lightly with salt.
8.  Store in a container at room temperature.

I usually triple the recipe in my large skillet.  It doesn't take any longer to make and you get three times the finished product.

ENJOY!







Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment